Is it safe to store breast milk
Storage of expressed breast milk
After expressing the milk, it should be stored in clean, i.e. boiled, plastic or glass containers. Specialized plastic bags are also available in specialist shops that can be attached directly to the pump set. This eliminates the need to pour the milk from one container into another and contamination with germs is kept as low as possible.
What should you watch out for when freezing breast milk?
It makes sense to freeze the milk in quantities of 60 to 120 ml. Small amounts thaw quickly, are quick to warm up, and there is less milk left to discard if the baby doesn't drink it all. When filling, leave about 2 cm space so that the milk can expand when it is frozen without the bottle bursting. Fresh milk can be added to frozen milk provided it is cooled first and there is less fresh than frozen milk (the top layer of the already frozen milk must not thaw). Any milk stored should be labeled and dated.
Harmony - The Medela manual breast pump
Small, light and easy to carry; with ergonomic handle and 2-phase technology.
Thawing breast milk
You can thaw frozen milk in a warm water bath or overnight in the refrigerator. Once milk has been thawed, do not refreeze it. Once the milk has thawed, it must be put back in the refrigerator immediately until it is used up. Thawed breast milk can be stored unopened for 24 hours at +4 ° C. After opening the container, thawed breast milk must be stored at +4 ° C and used within 12 hours. Leftovers from a warmed up breast milk meal must be thrown away. Thawed breast milk can smell soapy or flaky, which the children usually tolerate without any problems. When the watery part separates from the fatty part, you can gently mix.
The shelf life of expressed breast milk:
- 6 months and longer in a separate freezer at a constant temperature of at least -19 ° C.
- 3 months in a freezer compartment of a refrigerator with independent cooling (different temperature because the door is opened and closed frequently)
- up to 3 days at 4 to 6 ° C in the refrigerator
- 4-8 hours at room temperature (freshly pumped)
Warm breast milk and feed it
Warm the milk to body temperature or at least to room temperature before you feed your child. This can be done relatively quickly in a 37 ° C water bath. It is better not to use a microwave oven for this. The uneven heating can cause burns to the baby. In addition, the content of antibodies (immunoglobulin A) and the antibacterial substance lysozyme can decrease considerably. You must not boil the breast milk either. However, you can use the conventional bottle warmers.
Last updated: 26-11-19, bra
- Galaxies can die
- If you were depressed, who noticed
- How can students make their own classes
- What is 60 out of 1000
- What are polar and non-polar bonds
- Why can't Nigeria control Boko Haram?
- Where is the limit of battery technology
- Do therapists see therapists too
- What problems should I consider when moving
- Could Joe Biden run as an independent
- Which coffee is best for relieving migraines
- How much mentioned com fee
- How useful is optogenetics to humans
- Does PewDiePie have black friends
- Can someone take medicine and be vegan
- Sociopaths change as they get older
- Why does LibreOffice not have automatic updates
- How suitable is Enceladus for colonization
- Web API for TV channels in India
- What's your rating of interior design
- Cyanide is the most toxic chemical known
- What is a confidential file
- What is gray star eye disease
- How popular is HBase
- What is the NPV decision rule
- Are ants sensitive
- How can you complete the Sinnoh Pokedex
- When did cricket start in 2020
- What is anthropogenic global warming
- Why don't people talk about Darfur anymore
- What does Nutanix
- What is the best GTD software for Windows
- What does Shippuden mean in Naruto Shippuden
- Which missile shoots an SR71?