What does SKU
What actually is a SKU?
The acronym “SKU” is probably not very familiar to retailers outside the US. I know from conversations with customers that the term is often misunderstood. Because the SKU is not, as is often assumed, the stock of the product, but a unique character string that identifies the product.
Stock keeping unit
The written SKU is called “Stock Keeping Unit”. The last term “unit” could lead one to believe that the SKU is any unit. And when you think of “unit” you somehow automatically think of “number”, right?
The SKU is by no means an item's inventory in Shopify (and elsewhere). This is specified separately in Shopify for each variant in the "Quantity" field. The SKU is best translated with "Article number", in the sense of a unique number or character string that identifies the respective product in exactly one variant.
However, an SKU is much more flexible in its design than a plain article number. Because the latter actually only consists of a long sequence of digits, while the former may also contain letters and therefore is or can be much more “speaking”.
257305673284 or RETROSHIRTROSAXXL?
The SKU for a pink "retro" shirt in size XXL could e.g. RETRO SHIRT ROSEXXL while the article number would be just 257305673284. Both are clear, but there is probably no doubt which nomenclature is more descriptive.
Anyone who has ever gone a little deeper into the subject of computer-aided databases may have heard the term “matchcode”. This is a key composed of various fragments of the data in a data record which - ideally - uniquely identifies the respective data record. In theory, a matchcode is not necessarily unique, but the probability that a matchcode is ambiguous within a database table is relatively low.
A SKU is to a certain extent like a matchcode, in the sense that it is a date composed of fragments of the data of a product - product name, color, size, etc. - that uniquely identifies a variant of a product.
In order to use the SKU correctly, you only have to remember the following: Assign a character string that is unique and (at least for you) legible for all items in the entire shop as the SKU.
Never miss an article again! Subscribe to the ShopStack blog:
Subscribe via RSS
- Why do narcissists get worse on vacation
- What are the new big data technologies
- Pain is the best way to learn
- Could Joe Biden run as an independent
- Who owns the Antonov 225
- A mutual fund investment return is taxable
- What are recurring neural network algorithms
- Complex systems What is NetLogo
- What is the worst kind of teacher
- How to get pandas on PyCharm
- What is an open source game engine
- What is the OTP for the GT Bank
- What was the siege of Leningrad
- What makes multiplexing so inexpensive?
- Scientologists avoid social media
- Does aerospace technology suit girls
- What is encapsulation in OOPs
- What is Lawrence KS known for?
- Which stream is best for NIT Meghalaya
- Can i find my father
- How is the string comparison done in SQL
- How can I rent my timeshare
- How does Quora's artificial intelligence work
- What are the risks associated with a nose job
- How is Zoloft used to treat schizophrenia
- What is the value of 1 6
- What do feminists think of nachos?
- Do we need work for others
- What does marker mean in geology
- Which Roku streamer should you buy
- How often do sex workers shower
- Why and how was Aristotle so intelligent
- What are specialty products SP in the WTO