Who were the Medjay in ancient Egypt
Who were the Hermotybians and Calascirians whom Herodotus mentioned formed the warrior caste of Egypt?
The Hermotybians and Calascirians mentioned by Heordotus appear to be simply two parts of the Egyptian army, each recruited from specific parts of the country. Indeed, Hordotus himself makes this clear:
"Their warriors are called Calasiries or Hermotybies and they belong to the following districts, because all of Egypt is divided into districts.
The following are the districts of the Hermotybies: Busiris, Sais, Chemmis, Papremis, the island called Prosopitis and half of Natho. From these districts come the Hermotybies, whose number, when most numerous, is one hundred and sixty thousand. None of them learn any mechanical art, but are entirely devoted to military affairs.
These are the nearest districts of the Calasiries: Thebes, Bubastis, Aphthis, Tanis, Mendes, Sebennytus, Athribis, Pharbaethus, Thmuis, Onuphis, Anysis and Myecphoris; This district is located on an island across from the city of Bubastis. These are the districts of the Calasiries, which are numerous when they are most numerous, two hundred and fifty thousand men ... "
This division of the army into two parts was not introduced by the Greeks, but it is also confirmed in much earlier records.
For example that says Great Edict of Horemheb :
The two detachments of troops in the field, one in the southern region and the other in the northern region, have stolen hides across the country without passing a year without applying the trademark [?] Of the royal house to cattle that it was not thanks to them that they increased their numbers and stole what was stamped on them. They went from house to house, beating and pillaging without leaving any hiding place for people.
This division of armies is hardly surprising given the geographical location of Egypt. The division of its armed forces into a northern and southern contingent enabled Egypt to protect itself from any threat from the Cushites in the south, as well as from those who were the dominant Mesopotamian power of the day in the north.
This is a difficulty with the Nomes listed by Herodotus (or " Districts "or" Cantons ", depending on your preferences), since many of the 42 Egyptian nomes are not mentioned:
It is possible that some Nomes were exempt from providing troops, or that Herodotus was unfamiliar with the Nomes system - probably never actually visiting Egypt - and therefore listed only those he knew.
As for the Medjay, the Medjay was last mentioned in the 20th Dynasty (1189-1077 BC). As a Wikipedia article, you cited notes
" It is not known whether the Medjay was abolished as a crew or the name of the force was changed ".
Herodotus makes no suggestion that the Medjay is in any way related to the Hermotybians and Calascirians were related (or Calasiries and Hermotybies , depending on the translation of ' Stories 'that you have available). This is hardly surprising since Herodotus did not arrive until 485 BC. Was born six centuries after the Medjay were last mentioned in the actual records of ancient Egypt.
- What should I know about Forex trading
- Did you originally grow up in Cleveland?
- Should Nigeria make French the official language
- How my internet connection got faster
- What are the Biggest Myths About Credit
- Data science companies include quantum computers
- Why do I experience a light yellow chair
- How would you test an analysis system
- What is the origin of an electron
- What are the physical properties of neon
- What is the atomic number of aluminum
- Which IDE should I use for C.
- What is the inferior vesical artery
- What time are the Denver Broncos playing?
- Can the mind get you over all thoughts
- What title does an ambassador have
- Why did the military build the HAARP
- How long should a rap hook be
- What are the sensations associated with hunger
- How are you doing when you make sacrifices
- What is happening to Tesla these days
- Is DMCA a copyright loophole
- Is packaged milk healthy?
- How will the human mind develop
- Which face wash is best for women
- Are you worried about yourself
- What does Steve Ballmer think of Google
- What are the best skin peeling products
- Do you like cashew milk
- Which inkjet printers accept third-party cartridges?
- Do I have gingivitis or periodontal disease
- Where is TikTok
- What are some great military strategy books