What is the purpose of the F35
USAF boss wants new fighter jet as F-16 successor
The F-16 Fighting Falcon - its pilots call it "Viper" - is a living legend. It has been in series production since 1976, initially by General Dynamics and has now been under the direction of Lockheed Martin for almost 30 years. Constantly new variants and improvements ensured that the "Viper" was always at the forefront when it came to the performance of modern combat aircraft. But even the best jet gets old - and it's not just the US Air Force that has to think about how to replace its aging F-16 in the not too distant future.
A "Volkswagen" for the US Air Force
For the Chief of Staff of the US Air Force, Charles Q. Brown, one thing is certain: the F-35A, which was once launched as the designated successor, is not suitable for this. At least not alone. Because the sinfully expensive Stealth Fighter is something like the Ferrari among fighter jets for Brown - and after all, you don't drive a Ferrari to work every day, but only on Sundays, Brown told reporters last week. The F-35 is the "high-end fighter", but it also needs an aircraft for "low-end" tasks for which the F-35 does not want to burn. In other words: Brown would like a Volkswagen to complement the Ferrari.
Redesign instead of F-16 upgrade
One such Volkswagen could be the F-16V (Block 70/72) - the youngest and most modern member of the venerable Falcon family, which has been built in Greenville for some time. So far, however, only for export: Bahrain, Bulgaria, Morocco and Slovakia have ordered the F-16V from Lockheed Martin, other nations such as Greece have their older F-16s partially upgraded to the new standard. USAF boss Brown, meanwhile, favors a different solution: He has a completely new fighter in mind, a "clean sheet design", and thus not a derivative of an existing pattern.
Decision in 2023?
According to Brown's wish, the new design should combine the capabilities of fifth-generation fighter jets with the (cost) advantages of a fourth-generation aircraft. The result would be a jet of the "generation four and a half or generation five minus", explained the air force chief. "I want to be able to build something new and different that isn't the F 16," Brown pointed out. What exactly that could be, what capability a new fighter must have, what it can cost and what number of units it needs - this is what the US Air Force and its boss now want to discuss in a large study of the Air Force's future fleet mix. "In the 2023 budget, I see that we're really going to make some important decisions," Brown predicted.
- How does something burn without air?
- What animals look at the stars
- People today are the laziest in history
- What is broadband in simple terms
- What is the first stage of AIDS
- Why does glucose-6-phosphate inhibit hexokinase
- What is Host ID in TCP IP
- What binds PVC to cement
- How should a cover letter be written
- What is free online games
- How do startups like TED come about
- How does cyanide occur in nature?
- What are your experiences in the B school
- Do I have to practice my resume
- How to count characters in Python
- What is MERS
- How can an INTJ mature
- What does it mean to dose from a narcissist
- Why did Jesus never have a pet?
- What is Premium Fast Food
- How can I spread my writing service
- Can you rebuke crows
- How are business loans calculated
- How is oxygen removed from the air
- What is the tip amount in Accenture
- Cervical cancer spreads quickly
- What's a beater in boxing
- How is love destroyed
- Who is a competitive man or woman
- How is India when Gandhi is alive today
- What kind of a lawyer is Andrew Weill
- When and how failure can motivate someone
- How can someone improve their juggling skills