Why is cisgender in LGBTQ
The queer lexicon : What does cisgender mean?
Cisgender are people whose gender identity corresponds to the gender that was assigned to them at birth. This is true of the vast majority. The fact that there is even a name for the majority may astonish its members. The majority consider themselves to be the “normal population” who do not need any special designation.
This claim to be “normal” oneself and to be able to mark others as not normal with terms is where the criticism that first brought about the term cisgender begins. Because it is just not a matter of course that all people live in harmony with their assigned gender, as the existence of trans * shows.
Volkmar Sigusch coined the term "cissexual"
In order to make this visible, Volkmar Sigusch, the long-time director of the now dissolved Institute for Sexology at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main, coined the term "cissexual" in 1991 in analogy to "transsexual": The prefix "trans" means "beyond" in Latin, “Beyond”, the prefix “cis” “this side”.
The term cisgender is widely used in gender-informed circles outside of Germany, especially in the academic milieu, and has also been included in the Oxford English Dictionary - but not yet in the Duden. It is also used somewhat disparagingly by some transsexuals and transgender people.
A distinction that raises critical questions
However, the critical distinction between “cis” and “trans” itself raises critical questions. With the binary pair of terms lesbians, gays and bisexuals are counted among the mass of gender-compliant heterosexuals, although they deviate from it due to their orientation and often also due to non-standard-compliant behavior and are sanctioned by the majority for this. So are the LGB really in good hands in the “C sharp” category? Even intersex people who are under high pressure to standardize do not necessarily have to feel at home in the “Cis” category.
The entire queer lexicon can be found here. We add it in loose succession.The Queer ABC appears on Queerspiegel, the Tagesspiegel's blog about LGBTI issues. You can find the queer mirror here. Suggestions for topics and criticism are welcome in the comment area a little further down this page or by email to: [email protected]
- What is Kim Namjoon's IQ
- What is the meaning of Euclidean axioms
- How do I become less possessive
- Who invented the first console
- What rhymes with hip
- Password websites keep your information more secure
- Is BPD genetic
- Who is a wise, unintelligent film character
- Can this laptop run GTA V.
- What are some substitutes for brandy
- How important are JVM languages
- Farrier died in Duenkirchen
- Are Taurus really that stubborn
- Anatomy of the nails How do fingernails work
- Are employees an asset or an expense
- What are bad beginner mistakes in Bridge
- How do atheists feel about deism?
- Why the popularity of Instagram continues to grow
- Why did the military build the HAARP
- How did superstition come about
- What happened during the fall of Saigon
- Serverless or microservices, whichever is better
- How do I deactivate the ad blocker
- What is the point of double-deckers